NAME: OKAFOR Polycarp Nnacheta Ph.D.
CONTACT ADDRESS: Department of Biochemistry
College of Natural Sciences
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. PMB 7267 Umuahia.
PRESENT STATUS: Professor
DATE OF LAST PROMOTION October, 2011
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED WITH DATES
DATE SCHOOL/INSTITUTION CERTIFICATE OBTAINED
1986-1990 University of Ibadan. B.Sc Biochemistry
(2nd Class Upper Division)
1992-1993 University of Ibadan. M.Sc. Biochemistry
1993-2004 University of Ibadan Ph.D Biochemistry
199 University of Ibadan Certificate of Participation in Techniques
and Application of Electrophoresis in Molecular Biology and Genetic Diseases
2021 Global University Network For
Innovation (GUNi-Africa) and African
Quality Assurance Network (AfriQAN) Certified Accreditor
SCHOLARSHIP, FELLOWSHIP AND PRIZES
- Federal Scholarship Award for Postgraduate Student in Nigeria-1992/1992
- Oritsejolomi Thomas Fellowship Award-1994
- TETFUND Travel Grant in 2012 to attend 2nd Biotechnology World Congress in Dubai (2013).
- TETFUND 2009/2010 Grant for research on ‘Life Style, Dietary Habit and Serum Lipid Proatherogenic Indices of Middle and Upper Socio-Economic Strata in Abia State.
- TETFUND 2019/2020 Grant for research on ‘Investigation of Glucose Transport Enhancement and Shell Life Potency of Anti-Diabetic Poly-herbal formula
HONOURS AND DISTINCTIONS.
- National Association of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Students MOUAU Award-2006
- Cited in ACHIEVERS WHO’S WHO IN NIGERIA-2010
- Fellow of Institute of Policy Management Development-2013
- African International Achiever Award-2015
- A merit Award of Excellence by Nigerian Society of Biochemistry Students, Michal Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike: As the NSBS Southeast Mentor and Ambassador-2017
- Award of excellence by Postgraduate Students Association, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. In recognition of your outstanding dexterity to effective research and Human Development- Nov. 2019
- Award of Merit by Charismatic Students’ Fellowship (CSF), Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike: In recognition of your outstanding Commitment to the Growth and Existence of CSF MOUAU Chapter- 2019.
- Award of Honour by The Student Union Government of MOUAU as the Best Dean of Colleges 2021.
- Award of Excellence as Distinguished Dean and Professor 2021 by South-East Zone of the Nigerian Society of Biochemistry Students.
- Award of Excellence as the best Dean of the Year 2021 by The Nigerian Society of Biochemistry Students
- The 3rd of the First 5 Best Scientist of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike: AD Scientific Index 2021 Ranking for Scientists.
MEMBERSHIP OF ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member, Nigeria Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Member, Federation of Society of African Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Member, Cassava Cyanide Diseases Network International (Country Representative).
- Member, American Chemical Society.
- Member, Nigeria Society for Experimental Biology.
- Member, American Chemical Society (ACS) Nigerian International Chemical Sciences Chapter
- Australian Association for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine.
- Biochemistry Professionals Social Network
TEACHING AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE/WORK EXPERIENCE
- PRESENT EMPLOYMENT
2001-2004 Lecturer I. Department of Biochemistry
College of Natural Sciences (CNAS). Michael Okpara
University of Agriculture, Umudike.
2004-2008. Senior Lecturer Department of Biochemistry
College of Natural Sciences (CNAS).
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture,
2008-2011 Associate Professor. Department of Biochemistry
. . College of Natural Sciences (CNAS).
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture,
Promoted a Full Professor Department of Biochemistry
College of Natural Sciences.
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike.
. PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENT
1990-1991 Biology/Chemistry Teacher Government Day Secondary School
(NYSC year) Sharagalle, Marshi. L.G.A, Kastina State
1992-1993 Demonstration in Biochemistry Department of Biochemistry, University
1996-1997 Part-time Lecturer: Laboratory Technology Training School
(Chemistry/Biology) (LTTS) 1996 -1997
1994-1999 Assistant Lecturer Department of Biochemistry,
College of Health Sciences.
Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH). Ogbomoso, Nigeria.
1999-2001 Lecturer II Department of Biochemistry,
College of Health Sciences.
Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH). Ogbomso, Nigeria.
- I was a Visiting Senior Lecturer to the Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, August – September 2006. I assisted in teaching General Biochemistry to B.Sc, MLTI and II, B.Sc. Pharmacy and MBBS students especially in the area of Biochemical Messengers, Tissue Biochemistry and Lipid Metabolism.
- I was a Visiting Senior Lecturer and Visiting Professor to the Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Kogi State University, Anyigba, Kogi State from 2007-2013. I assisted in teaching every aspect of Biochemistry to Undergraduate and Postgraduate of the Department
- I was also a Visiting Professor to the Department of Biochemistry, Federal University Ndufu –Alike Ikwo, Ebonyi State.2012-2014
UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
Dean, College of Natural Sciences. April 2019-Date
Director of Academic Planning.
Michael Okpara Uni. Agric. Umudike February 2014 – January 2017
Head of Department
Department of Biochemistry, MOUA Umudike. October 1, 2008 – 2012
Ag. Head of Department,
MOUA Umudike. 11th – 25th June 2007.
Ag Head of Department,
Department of Biochemistry, MOUA Umudike. 11th – 22nd June 2008.
Ag Head of Department,
Department of Biochemistry, MOUA Umudike 22nd July – 4th August, 2008.
Ag. Dean, College of Natural Sciences. 21st – 22nd May 2010.
The Vice-Chancellor’s Representative at The 1st Convocation Ceremony of the Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji Arakeji, Osun State. Friday, November 26, 2010.
Representative of the Dean of Postgraduate at various M.Sc and Ph.D Oral Examinations.2006-date.
Member University Senate MOUA Umudike: August 2006 – Date
Chairman, College Board, College of Natural Sciences, MOUAU, 2019-Date
Chairman; College Postgraduate Committee, College of Natural Sciences, MOUAU.
Member, Board of Postgraduate School, MOUAU: 2008-Date.
Member, College Postgraduate Board MOUAU: 2001 – Date.
Departmental Postgraduate Coordinator: 2006 – 2008
Member, College Board College of Natural Sciences, MOUAU: 2001 -2012
Member, College Board of College Of Natural Sciences, MOUAU
Departmental Examination Officer MOUAU (2004 – 2006)
SIWES: Co-ordinator, Department of Biochemistry, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (2001 -2008)
Member: Faculty Board. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) Ogbomoso (1994 – 2001).
MEMBERSHIP OF COMMITTEES IN THE UNIVERSITY
Chairman, University Curriculum Committee, Feb. 2014-January 2017
Chairman, Senate Business Committee, Feb. 2014- January, 2017
Chairman, Senate Committee on MoU between Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike and Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic Unwana Afikpo on Programme Affiliation, 2015-2017
Chairman, Senate Committee on MoU between Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike and Abia State College of Education (Technical) Arochukwu on Programme Affiliation, 2016
Chairman, Student Enrollment Committee 2014
Chairman, University Books Ethics Committee 2014
Member, Committee of Directors of Academic Planning of Nigerian Universities (CODAPNU), 2014-2017
Chairman, 5th Convocation Prizes Sub-committee, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
Member, Senate special Committee on Result Consideration, 2014-2017
Member, Committee on TETFund 2016-2017
Member, Senate Committee on Non-Completed University Research Projects
Member, Senate Business Committee: 2008-2012.
Member, Senate Committee on Review of Academic Regulations, Students’ Information Handbook and Regulations of Examination Offences and Discipline. March 3, 2009- May 2010.
Member, Senate Committee to Harmonize Students’ Folders and Class Data Cards for The University: May-September 2010
Member, Senate Committee on Procurement of Books for the University: 2009-2010.
Member, College Committee on the Proposed Change of the Names of Programmes in the Department of Biological Sciences. February, 2010
Member, Monitoring Team for Research Project. 2009-2012.
Member: Faculty Accreditation Committee LAUTECH 1996 – 1999
Member: Panel of Investigation on Alleged Case of Threat to life by Mr. A.D. Ugah
Chairman: College Board Committee on Student’s Boycott of Examination.
Member: Committee of Think-Thank on University Education 2016
- Services to Other Universities
External Examiner for B.Sc. Biochemistry Programme, University of Oyo, Nigeria 2014-2017.
External Examiner for B.Sc. Biochemistry Programme, Salem University Lokoja, Nigeria, 2014-2017.
External Examiner for Biochemistry Postgraduate Programme, University of Nigeria Enugu Campus 2016, 2018.
External Examiner for Biochemistry Postgraduate Programme, Delta State University, Abraka Nigeria 2016.
External Examiner for BSc Biochemistry, Niger Delta University Amasoma, Bayelsa State, 2016- 2019.
Member, Accreditation Panel to Federal Polytechnic Bida, 1995.
Chairman, NUC Accreditation Team for Science Programmes to Bowen University Iwo, Osun State Nigeria, 2015
Member, NUC Accreditation Team for Science Programme to Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu, Nigeria, 2015.
Member, NUC Accreditation Team for Science Programmes to Delta State University, Abraka, Delta State, 2016.
Member, NUC Accreditation Team to Niger Delta University, Amasoma, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, 2016.
Member, NUC Accreditation Team for Postgraduate Programme to Redeemers’ University, Ede, Osun State, 2017.
Member, NUC Accreditation Team Legacy University, Okija, Anambra State and PAMO University of Medicine, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, 2019.
Member, NUC Accreditation Team to Nasarawa State University Keffi, Plateau State University, Bokkos, Federal University Wukari, Taraba State.
Member, University of Ibadan Alumni Association.
Secretary LOC: 4th South-East Zonal Symposium of Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. 2008
Facilitator, National Population Census, 2006.
Returning Officer for INEC for Aba North/South Federal Constituency in 2011 National Assembly Election.
Collation Officer for INEC at Osisi-oma Ngwa LG A, Abia State during Presidential Election in 2011.
Collation Officer for INEC at Egbema/Ohaji LGA, Imo State during the Imo State Gubernatorial Re-run Election in 2011.
Secretary, ASUU MOUA Umudike, October 2006 – November, 2008
Internal Auditor, ASUU – MOUA Umudike 2005 – October 2006.
Resident Pastor: Charismatic Renewal Ministries Inc. Grace House, Umuahia, 2009-Date.
Resident, Igbo Brethren Association Ogbomoso Chapter, 2000 – 2001.
Core-group Member, Oyo State Charismatic Renewal Ministries, 1991 – 2001.
Core-group Member, Abia State Charismatic Renewal Ministries, 2001 – date.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
Characterization of bioactive compounds, mechanism of action and toxicity studies of some of our indigenous food plants that could be used in the management of Diabetes Mellitus. We are also carrying on research works centered on the recognition, identification and quantification of hazardous chemicals/toxins resulting from occupational and dietary exposures to chemicals and public health aspects of chemicals in air, water, other parts of the environment, foods and plant foods.
POST-GRADUATE STUDENTS SUPERVISION
- Okereke Stanley C MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/2001/211
Biochemical and Histopathological Changes Associated with Chronic Cassava Cyanide Ingestion in rats, June 2004
- Ghenga-Olajubutu, Omodolapo MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/2002/532.
Intakes of Cassava-Cyanide and Low-Protein Diet in the Aetiology of Tropical Pancreatitis in Rats. October, 2007.
- Eleazu, Chinedum Ogbonnaya. MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/2005/784
Antioxidant Status of Unripe Plantain and Its Effects on Oxidative Stress in Alloxan Induced Diabetes I Rabbits. November, 2008.
- Ekwelem, Esther Adaku MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/2005/785
Determination of Cyanogenic Potential of Two New Cassava Cultivars and the Hydrolytic Activities if their β-glucosidases. June, 2009.
- Onyeabo Chimaroke. MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/2006/1077.
Phytochemical content of aqueous extract of Magariteria discoid (Akunta) and their toxicological effects, February, 2010.
- Omale James MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/2006/1150
Chemical, Biochemical and Toxicological Studies on Cissus multistrata (Vatecaea) Plant. June, 2009.
- Akachukwu, Doris M.Sc, 2012.
- Ezeigwe, Donatus M.Sc, 2012.
- Asomugha, Roseline Ngozi MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/07/1318
Toxicological Evaluation of aqueous leaf extract of Chromolaena odoratum in male Wistar albino rats. August, 2012
- Godfrey, Obinna Chukwuemeka (MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/11/2014)
Assessment of serum lipid pro-atherogenic risk factors of a population of adults in Aba, Nigeria, December 2014.
- Essien, Udeme Nelson (MOUAU/M.Sc/09/1630
Cyanogenic Potential and In vivo metabolism of yellow cassava in Wistar rats. December 2014.
- lroaganachi, Mercy Amarachi (MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/09/1629)
Effect of unripe plantain and ginger on lipid profile and some other biochemical parameters in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats.
- Eleazu, Chinedum Ogbonnaya (MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/10/1837)
Biochemical basis for the dietary management of diabetes and its complications in rats fed with unripe plantain, cocoyam and their combination. December, 2014.
- Kalu, Winner Oyidiya MOUAU/Ph.D/09/1731
Modulation of Dihydrotestosterone/Estradiol Valerate-Induced Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in Male Wistar Rats with Kolaviron. February 2016.
- Ikechukwu Galvin MOUAU/MSc/
Evaluation of sub-chronic effects of consumption of two artificial food additives on some biochemical parameters in Wistar rats. 2018.
- Akachukwu, Doris MOUAU/Ph.D/BCH/12/2210.
Assessment of environmental pollution due to gas flaring on the soil and cultivated edible vegetables using Soil enzymes and antioxidants of selected vegetables as Markers.
- Ikechukwu, Eberechukwu Laura (MOUAU/PG/M.Sc/BCH/15/5181 2019
Anti-sickling effects of Methanol Extracts of B.coriacea and M.puriens Seeds
- Onyebo, Chimaroke MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/BCH/12/2195
Effects of Crude Extract and Fractions of Moringa oleifera Leaves on Glucose Transport Proteins, AMPkinase, Na+/K+aTPase and Other Biochemical Parameters In Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Male Rats. November, 2019.
- Godfrey, Obinna Chukwuemeka MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/BCH/15/5427.
Effect of Ethanol Seed Extract of Cola Lapidota and Antioxidant Status of Female Wistar Rats Fed High Fat Diet. 2019.
- Odika, Prince Chimezie MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/13/2698.
Metabolic Effects of Vitexdonian Leaf Extract on Transmembrane Glucose Transport Proteins of Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Albino Rats.
- Ben-Udochukwu, Chioma MOUAU/PG/MSc/11/2077. 2016
Comparative Analysis and Influences of the Oils of Dacryodes, Persea amaricana and
CarnariumSchewinfurthii on Lipid profile in Malealbino Rats
- Alozie, Eleazar Michael MOUAU/PG/MSc/14/3621
- Nnana, Obedience Okon MOUAU/PG/MSC/15/6497
- Luke-Aliga, Utitofon Lucky MOUAU/PG/MSc/15/6588
- .Akinribido, Ayokunle Michael MOUAU/PG/MSc/13/2872 2018
Effects of Four Different Drying Methods on the Cyanogenic Content and Toxicity of Pro-Vitamin A High Quality Cassava Flour (HQCF)
Co-supervised Ph.D. Theses
- Obimba, Kelechukwu Clarence (MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/2007/1322).
Ameliorative effects of weaning formular on Wistar albino rats administered heavy metals contaminated water.
- Igwe kalu Igwe (MOUAU/PG/Ph.D/08/1487)
Effect of fraction of Vernonia amygdalina Del ehanolic extract on rat uterine and mammary gland contractility and on the profile of some reproductive hormones.
- Egedigwe, Agatha Chima MOUAU/Ph.D/2010/1882
Evaluation of possible body fat mechanisms of crude extract and fractions from leaves of Vernonia amygdalina Del in Wistar rats. August 2015.
- Ahaiweh Udochukwu Elvis MOUAU/Ph.D/12/2548.
Hormonal profile and changes in some biochemical parameters in Dihydrotestosterone-estradiol valerate induced benign prostrate hyperplasia, in male albino rats administered fractions of Vernonia amygdalina. September 2015.
- Nwaokorie Ernest Adindu MOUAU/Ph.D/2006/1075.
Evaluation of cardiovascular risk factors and metabolic abnormalities in HIV patients on and not on therapy in Aba, Abia State, Nigeria.
EDITORSHIP OF JOURNALS
Editor: Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment. Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. July 2011 – 2014.
Reviewer for African Journal of Biotechnology, Kenya 2005-Date
Reviewer for International Journal of Food Science and Technology Britain (Elservier Publications) Jan. 2006-Date
Reviewer for Enzymes and Microbial Technology (Elsevier Publication) November 2006 – date.
Reviewer: Process Biochemistry, Britain (Elsevier Publications) January 2008 to date. Reviewer: African Journal of Food Technology, Kenya, May 2008 to date.
Football, Writing, Tennis and Christian Music.
- Okafor, P.N. Maduagwu, E.N (1999). Toxicity Evaluation of Novel Cyanide-containing Compounds of Cassava Tissue Towards Chicken Embryos. A Journ. Biol. App. Chem. 44,24-27.
- Okafor, P.N. Maduagwu, E.N. (1999) Chemical Characterization of Novel Cyanide Compound in Cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) other than the Glycosides and Hydrocyanic Acid. A. Journ. Bol. App. Chem. 22, 28-31.
- Okafor P.N. Maduagwu, E.N. (1999) Relationship between the Ingestion of Cynogenic Glycosides and their Excretion in Urine. Natn. Sci Foundation Sri-Lanka 27 (3): 203-208.
- Okafor P.N. Maduagwu, E.N (2000) Cyanide Contamination of the Atmospheric Air During Large Scale “Garri” Processing and Toxicity Effects of Such Cyanide Equivalent on Rate. Afr. J. Biomed. Res. 3: 19-23.
- Okafor P.N. Maduagwu, E.N, Okoronkwo C.O. and Alaneme F.O (2001) Cyanide Contamination of Natural Water Sources during large scale Cassava possessing in Nigeria. J. Biomed Res. 4. 21-23.
- Okafor P.N., Okoronkwo, C.O., Maduagwu, E.N (2002) Occupational and Dietary Exposures of Humans to Cyanide Poisoning from Large Scale Cassava Food and Chemical Toxicology 40 (2002) 1001-1005.
- Okafor P.N., Abara, C.N., Nwabuko, C.U, and Ogbonna U. (2002) Assessment of Cyanogenic Potential, Nitrate and Nitrite Content, and Trypsin Inhibitor Activity of Some Nigeria Legumes. Agric Food Chem. 50: 4965-4968.
- Okafor P.N. and Ogbonna U.I. (2003), Nitrate and Nitrite Contaminations of Water Sources and Fruit Juices Markerted in South-Eastern Nigeria. Food Comp. Anal. 16:213-21Okafor P.N. (2003) In Vivo Metabolism in Rats of Cyanide Containing Compounds from Cassava Leaves. J. Bio Res. And Biotech. (1) 64-74).
- Okafor P.N. and Abara C.N (2003). The Cyanognic Potential of Some Foodstuffs Used as Intervention for Cassava Cyanogens in Nigeria. Jour. Nutr. Sci. 24 (1) 31-34.
- Okafor P.N. and Ezereonye, O.U (2003) Partial Purification and some properties of b-glucosidase from the Guit of the Giant Africa snail, Achatina Achantina. Bioscience Research Communication 15 (3). 181-189.
- Okafor P.N. and Nwabuko C.U (2003) Cyanide, Nitrate and Nitrite Contents of Livestock feeds in Umuahia, Nigeria. Biokemistri 13 & 14:57-63.
- Okafor P.N. (2004) Assessment of Cyanide Overload in Cassava Consuming Populations of Nigeria and the Cyanide Content of Some Cassava Based Foods. Journ. Biotech (Kenya) 3:358-361
- Okafor P.N. and Ekeokoro O. (2004) Determination of Cyanogenic Potentials of Improved cassava Cultivars and Food from Root Crops Research Institute Roots 10 (1): 14-19.
- Okafor P.N. (2005) Determination of Hydrolytic Activity of Achantina Achantina b-
Glucosidase Towards Some Cyanogenic Glycosides of some Tropical plants.
Process Biochemistry. 40: 1579-1582.
- Okafor P.N. (2005) Correlation Between the Levels of Nitrate and Nitrite the Contents of
Cyanide, Iron, Copper and Manganese in Some Nigeria Legumes. Journal of
Applied Sciences 8 (2): 4742-4749.
- Okafor P.N.(2005) Sampling Techniques for Determining Cyanide in Large Samples of
Garri: Journal of Applied Sciences 8 (2) 4706-4718.
- Okafor P.N., Anyanwu V.O. and Onyema H.O (2005). The Effects Cassava Cyanide
On the Antioxidant (glutathione) Status and Some Clinically Important Enzymes of
Rats. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology. (New York) 1: (1) 40-46.
- Okafor P.N. and Nwogbo E. (2005). Determination of Nitrate, Nitrite, N-Nitrosamines, Cyanide and Ascorbic Acid Contents of Fruit Juices Marketed in African Journal of Biotechnology 4 (10): 1105- 1108.
- Okafor P.N. and Ezigwe, D.O.(2005) Toxicity Evaluation of Cyanogens of a Nigerian
Local Legume (Vigna species) Towards Rabbits. J. Bio. Res. And Biotech 3 (2)
- Okafor P.N. and Anyanwu N.O. (2006) Enzymatic and Over-Drying Method of Processing Rubber Seeds for Animal Feed and the Evaluation of the Toxicity of such Feed in Rats. Assian Journal of Biochemistry. 1 (2): 125-130.
- Okafor P.N. and Okorie C.N. (2006) Determination of Nitrates and Nitrites of Poultry Feeds Marketed in Nigeria. Journal of Food Technology 4 (3): 225-2.
- Okafor, P.N and O.D Omodamiro (2006) Assessment of Chemical/Phytotoxin and Microbial Contamination of Pasta Foods Marketed in Nigeria. American Journal of Food Technology 1 (2): 190-195.
- Okafor, P.N., U. Okorie, O.U. Njoku. (2005). Effect of drying on the cyanide content and its toxicity in seeds of Hevea Bransiliensis. Natural Rubber Research. 18(2):137-141.
- Okafor, P.N., Nwosu, O., Chukwu, J., Agbayi, J and Maduagwu, E.N (2007). Occurrence of malondialdehyde, N-nitrosamines and their precursors in some Nigerian ice-creams, yogurts, meat and fish species. African Journal of Biochemistry Research. 1(1) 001 –005.
- Okafor P.N. (2002) Cyanide Pollution of Water Sources in Umuahia Metropolis. Proceeding of 26th Annual NIFST Conference, 4th-8th November, 2002 Owerri Pp. 91-92.
- Okafor P.N. (2006) Knozo, Goitre and Cassava Consumption in Nigeria. CCDN November 2006.
- Okafor, P.N, Anorue, K, Bonire, A.O and Maduagwu, E.N. (2008). The role of low-protein and cassava-cyanide intake in the aetiology of tropical pancreatitis. Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences. Vol. 2, No 2: 393 – 397.
- Okafor, P.N, Okechukwu, L.M and Uzukwu, M (2008).Determination of antinutritional factors and phytotoxin contamination of poultry feeds. Journal of Applied Biosciences. 4: 103-107.
- Omale James and Okafor P N ( 2008). Comparative antioxidant capacity, membrane stabilization, polyphenol composition and cytotoxicity of the leaf and stem of Cissus Multistriat. African Journal Of Biotechnology.7(17):3129-3133.
- Omale James, Olajide, Joseph Eniola, Okafor, Polycarp Nnacheta (2008). Comparative evaluation of antioxidant capacity and cytotoxicity of two Nigerian Ocimum species. International Journal of Chemical Sciences.6(4) :1742-1751.
- Omale, James, Okafor Polycarp Nnacheta, and Omede,Ameh (2008). Polyphenol contents, cytotoxicity and antioxidant activities of some selected Nigerian vegetable foods. International Journal of Chemical Sciences. 6(4): 1714-1725.
- Okafor, P. N. and Njoku, A. KC.(2008). The potentials of cassava as animal feed and its toxicity implications. Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied 2(3):521-525.
- Omale James, Okafor, Polycarp Nnacheta, and Irene Ifeoma, Ijeh.(2009). Chemical composition and Effects of Aqueous Extract of Cissus Multistriata on some Biochemical Parameters in Albino Rats. International Journal of Pharm. Tech. Research. 1(3):509-513.
- Omale James, Okafor, Polycarp Nnacheta, Hassan, Sanusi Wara and Umar, Rabiu Aliyu (2009). Invitro and Invivo studies on the antioxidant activities, membrane stabilization and cytotoxicity of water spinach (Ipomoea aquatic Forsk) from Ibaji ponds, Nigeria. International Journal of Pharm. Tech Research. 1(3): 74-482.
- Omale James, Okafor, Polycarp Nnacheta, Ijeh, Irene Ifeoma (2009).Studies on the glyconutrient and antimicrobial efficacy of Cissus mulistriata. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2(3);
- Omale, James, Afenoko, Kebiru Yahaya and Okafor Polycarp Nnacheta (2009). Biological activity of stem and leaf extracts of Ocimum gratissmum. Nigerian Journal of basic and Applied Sciences. 17(1). 13-18.
- Omale, James and Okafor, P.N (2009). Cytotoxicity and antioxidant screening of some selected Nigerian Medicinal Plants. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical 2(4).
- Omale, James, Okafor, Polycarp Nnacheta and Ijeh Ifeoma Irene (2010). Partial Purification and antioxidant activity of partially purified Cissus multistriata leaf extract fraction. International Journal of PharmTech Research 2(1).216-221.
- Okoronkwo, E O., Okafor, P N., and Aguguo, B.A.C (2010). Crude protein and antinutrients/toxicants content of sprouted and unsprouted Mung bean (Phaseolus aureus) grown in Nigeria. Jour. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 25(1),55-58.
- Omale James, Okafor, Polycarp Nnacheta and Ijeh, Irene Ifeoma.(2010). Assessment of bioactivity and membrane stabilizing potential of Cissus multistriata fruit extract. Jour. Of Pharm Sci. Nanotech. 2 (4). 774-778.
- Eleazu, C. O, Okafor, P N and Ikpemeama Ahamefuna (2010). Total antioxidant capacity ,nutritional composition and inhibitory activity of unripe plantain (Musa paradisiacae) on oxidative stress in alloxan induced diabetic rabbits. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 9(1):1052-1057.
- Ukenye, E.A and Okafor P N (2010) Effect of simple processing on the cyanogenic potential of two new cassava cultivars (TMS419 and TMS98/0505). J. of Environ. Agric and Food Chem. 9(3):646-650.
- Obimba K C, Ijeh I I and Okafor, P N (2011). Effect of weaning formulae and electrolyte quality of water on rats administered with contaminated water source. J of Boichem. Res.5(8) 244-254.
- Nwugha C. and Okafor, P N (2013). Deterioration and antioxidant properties of some common edible Nigerian oils. J. of Biochem. and Mol. Biol.
- Eleazu, Chinedu O, Okafor, Polycarp N, Amajor, Jonhn, Awa, Ezinne, Ikpeama Ahamefula and Eleazu, Kate C. (2011). Chemical composition, antioxidant activity, functional properties and inhibitory action of unripe plantain. (M. paradisicae). African Journal of Biotechnology 10(7); 16948-16952.
- Eleazu, C O; Iroaganachi, M, Okafor, P N, Ijeh, I I and Eleazu, K C (2013). Ameliorative potential of Ginger (Z. officinale Roscoe) on relative organ weight in streptocin induced diabetic rats. International Journal of Biomedical Sciences 9 (2):82-90.
- Asomugha, RN, Okafor, PN, Ijeh, II, Orisakwe, OE, Asomugha, AL, Ndefo, JC (2013). Toxicological Evaluation of Aqueous Leaf Extract of Chromolaena Odorata in male Wistar Albino Rats. Journal of Applied Pharmacological Sciences. Vol. 3 (12). 89-92
- Asomugha, RN, Okafor, PN, Ijeh, II, Orisakew, OE, Asomugha, AL (2014). Hepatic Effect of Aqueous Extract of Chromolaena Odorata in Male Wistar Albino Rats.Pharmacology Online. Archives 2014, Vol 1: 143-
- CO Elazu, P N Okafor and I Ifeoma (2014). Biochemical Basis of the use of cocoyam (Colocassia esculenta L) in the dietary management of diabetes in streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. Asian Journal of Tropical Disease 4, S705-S711.
- N Asomugha, A N Ejiofor, P N Okafor, I I Ijeh (2014).Acute and cytotoxicity studies of aqueous and ethanolic leaf extracts of Chromolaena odoratum. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. Dol 10, 3923/pjbs 2014.
- Iroaganachi, M, C.O Eleazu, N,Okafor , N Nwaohu, ( 2015). Effect of unripe plantain (Musa paradisiacae) and ginger (zingber officinale) on blood glucose, body weight and feed intake of streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Open Biochemistry Journal 9: 1-6.
- Iroaganachi, M, Eleazu, C O, Okafor, P N (2015). Effects of unripe plantain (Musa paradisiacae) and ginger (Zingber officnale) on renal dysfunction in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats . J Pancreas (In Press).
- PN Okafor, PO Ukaegbu, OC Godfrey, MC, Ofoegbu and AC Uwaegbute (2014). Assessment of lipid profile, in middle and upper class individuals in Abia State, Nigeria based on life-style and dietary habit. Journal of Medical and Biomedical Sciences Vol 3: 3.
- Igwe K.K,N Okafor, I.I Ijeh.(2015). GC-MS analysis of plytocomponents in vernonia amygdalina.Del leaves and its contractile potential in mammary tissue in female albino wister rats. IORS Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science 8(1):25-30.
- K Igwe, I.I Ijeh, P.N Okafor, and S.M Anika (2015). Effect of vernonia Amygdalina Del Ethanolic Extract faction on Serum prolactin in lactating and non – lactating female Albino Wister rats. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science.8(11):82-88, 2015.
- Igwe, Kalu Kalu, Ijeh Ifeoma Iren, Okafor Polycarp .N. (2015). Action of contractile fraction of of vernonia Amygdalina Del Ethanolic Extract faction on hormonal profile of Estrogen and Progesterone in female albino wister rats. Global Research Journal of Science and Nature. 1(2):1-2.
- Chukwuemeka, O.G, Nwankpa, P, Uloneme, G.C, Eteh, C.C, Ben-Udochukwu, Chioma, Okafor, P.N (2015). Toxicity Evaluation of Cindoscocus Aconititolus on female albino wister rats. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 6(9):165-169
- Chukwuemeka, O.G, Nwankpa, P, Ugwuezumba, P.C, Eteh, C.C, Ben-Udochukwu, Chioma, Okafor, P.N (2015). Skipping Meals and its possible effects on lipid profile of purposively selected civil servants in Aba, Abia State, Nigeria. International Journal of Food Science Nutrition and Dieteties. 4(4):215-220.
- Chukwuemeka, Obinna Godfrey, Okafor P.N and Nwankpa, Promise. Assesment of serum lipid pro-atherogenic risk factors of a population of civil servants in Aba, Abia State, Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies 2(9):26-34.
- Onyebo Chimaroke and Okafor Polycarp Nnacheta Okafor (2016). Toxicological implications of Margaritarial dicoidea aqueous seed extract on Na+ K+ ATPase specific activity, glucose, and serum electrolyte levels in Wistar rats. International Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 4 (2) 210-214.
- Chima A Egedigwe, Ifeoma I Ijeh, Polycarp N. Okafor Chukwunonso Ejike (2016). Aqueous and methanol extracts of Vernonia amygdlina leaves exert their antiobesity effects throughthe modulation of appetite-regulatory hormones. Pharm Biol. 54(12) 3434-3236.
- GC, Ikechukwu, S.I, Egba, RC, Ibeh, EG, Helal, EU Ejiofor and PN Okafor (2017). Assessment of sub-chronic effect of two artificial food additives on selected biochemical Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 12 180-190.
- SC Egba, G.C Adimuko, G.C, Akokwu, HC, Omeoga, PN Okafor (2017). Determination of glycemic of varying proportions of a novel formulation of staple cassava four- Gari. Journal of Scientific Agriculture 1, 254-257.
- Udeme, P. Okafor and C. Eleazu (2017). Evaluation of distribution of cyanide in peels, pulp and leaves of three new yellow cassava ( Manihort esculenta Crantz) varieties for potential livestock feeds. Progress in Nutrition 19 (1-5). 137-141.
- CA Ekeleme-Egedigwe, I I Ijeh, PN Okafor (2017). Modulatory effect of dietary supplementation by Vernonia amygdalina on high-fat diet Induced obesity in Wistar rats. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum Technologia Alimentaria 16 (4) 431-442
- C Ikechukwu, S.I Egba, R.C Ibeh, E.G Halel, E.U Ejiofor. And P.N Okafor (2018). Microbiological, histological and biochemical evidence of adverse effects of food azo- dyes on rats. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 12(14) 36-47.
- G Chukwuemeka, P.N. Okafor, P. Nwankpa, C.C Ette and C.N Ekweogu (2018). Qualitative Phytochemical Screening and GCMS-Derived Fatty acid composition of Ethanolic Seed Extract of Kola Lepidota. Int. Jn Curr. Microbiol. App.Sci.7(12) 12-24.
- Mbah Patricia Etuna, Okafor, Polycarp N, Ozioma Azubuike, Salami Lilian L, Ihensekhien Isoken (2017). An Outline of the Relationship between Nutrition and Nigerian Journal of Home Economics. 6(1).
- OG Chukwuemeka, PN Okafor, P Nwankpa, CC Ette, and CN Ekweogu (2018). Qualitative Phytochemical Screening And GCMs-Derived Fatty Acid Composition Of Ethanolic Seed Extract of Cola lepidota K Schum. Int.J. Curr. Microbial. App. Sci. 7(12) 12-24 1918.
- OG Chukwuemeka, PN Okafor, P Nwankpa, RC Ibeh, PC Ugwuezunba (2018). Assessment of Weight Reduing Potential of Ethanolic Seed Extract of Cola lepidotaK. Schum in High Fat Fed Female Albino Wistar Rats.Am. J. Phytomed Clin Therap. 6(3)14.
- Chiemela, S Odoemela, Benita Percival, Zeeshan, Ahmad, Mling-Wei Chang Dawn Scholey, Emily Burton, Polycarp N Okafor, Philippe B, Wilson (2020). Characterization of yellow cassava and products: Investigation of cyanide B-carotene concentrations. BMC Research Notes 13(1) 1-7
- Chiemela, S Odoemela, Benita Percival, Zeeshan, Ahmad, Mling-Wei Chang Dawn Scholey, Emily Burton, Polycarp N Okafor, Philippe B, Wilson (2020). Characterization of yellow root cassava and food products: Investigation of cyanogenic glycosides and provitamin-A. Journal bioRxiv 2020
- Ebelechukwu Laura Ikechukwu, Polycarp Nnacheta Okafor and Simeon Ikechukwu Egba (2020). In vitro assessment of anti-sickling properties of Buchholzia coriacae and Mucuna pruiens seed extracts. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Animal 56 (9) 773-782
- Kalu Winner, Okafor Polycarp, Ijeh Ifeoma and Eleazu Chinedu (2016). Effects of Fractions of Kolaviron on some Indices of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in Rats: Identification of the Constituents of the Bioactive Fractions using GC-.MS. Royal Society of Chemistry Adv. 6:94352-94360.
- O Kalu, P N Okafor, I.I.Ijeh and C. Eleazu (2016) Effect of kolaviron, a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia kola on some biochemical parameters in experimentally induced benign prostatic hyperplastic rat. Biomedicine and Pharmacology 83:1436-1443
- Mbah, P E, Azubuike, O C and Okafor P N. (2020). Detoxification, Diversification and Branding of Local Food Commodities. Savanna Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. Federal University of Birini Kebbi, 1(2) 203-207
- Mbah, P E, Okafor, P N and Azubuike, O C (2018). Detoxification, Diversification and Branding of Local Food Commodities: Need for Increased Consumer Awareness on Patent and Job Creation to end Hunger and Poverty. Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Food Security and Hidden Hunger with Theme: Transforming National Food System To Prevent Hunger.pp. 117-121
1 International Workshop on Cassava Safety (1st – 4th March, 1994) at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture Ibadan – Nigeria.
- Techniques and Applications of Electrophoresis in Molecular Biology ad Genetic Disease (25th – 30th September, 1996). Laboratory of Biophysical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Ibadan.
- National Workshop Commission and Postgraduate School in Nigeria Workshop on development of Graduate Education in Nigeria (31st May 4thJune, 1994) University of Ibadan
4 22nd Annual Conference of Nigerian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 18th – 21st September 2002, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
Paper presented: Comparison of the hydrolytic activities of p-glucosidase of cassava and Achatina achatina towards cyanogenic glycosides of tropic plants
- 24th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Society for Biochemistry and Molecule Biology. 24th-27th November, 2004. University of Calabar.
Paper Presented: Determination of Nitrate Nitrite, N-nitrosamine, Cyanide and Ascorbic Acid Contents of Fruit Juices Marketed in Nigerian
- 2005 Extraordinary Conference of the Nigerian Society for Experimental Biology. 5th-6th, July 2005,lgbinedion University Okada, Nigeria.
Paper Presented: Assessment of Phytotoxin and Microbial Contamination of Pasta Foods Marketed in Nigeria
- 5th Congress of the Federation of African Societies of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (FASMBM) Abuja – Nigeria. 21st – 24th November, 2006.
Paper presented: The role of cassava – cyanide and low protein intake in the aetiology of tropical pancreatitis in rats.
- 4th South East Zonal Symposium of Nigerian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike 8th June, 2006.
Paper presented: The role of cassava cyanide in cellular antioxidant depletion and generation of reactive species in rats
- 27th Annual Conference of The Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology . 6th – 9th November, 2007, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
Paper presented: Determination of Anti-nutrients Toxicants and crude protein content of sprouted and unsprouted Mung beans (Phaseolus aureus)
- International Workshop on “Biochemistry and Millennium Development Goals; Matching Curriculum with Current Realities ”Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB) In collaboration with the National Universities Commission, Abuja. Wednesday July 9th -Friday July 11th
- Workshop on: Writing Winning Research Proposal by Committee of Deans of Postgraduate School? in Nigerian Universities In Collaboration the School of Media and Communication ( Pan-African University) Lekki Lagos !6th -18th March, 2010
- 30th Annual Conference of The Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 24th-27th October 2010 Kebbi State University of Science and Technology, Aliero, Kebbi State, Nigeria
- Critical Management Course for Senior Academic and Non-Teaching Staff. Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. Friday, July 30-0ctober, 2010
- 32nd Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Conference, University of Calabar. 14th-17th November, 2012.
- 2nd Biotechnology World Congress, 18th-21st February, 2013 at Dubai Women’s College, U A E.
- The Nigerian Research and Educational Network (NgREN) Members’ Operational Readiness Training Workshop, 4th -6th May 2014 at University of Port Harcourt.
- 35th Annual Conference of The Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 1st -3rd Nov, 2016 Covenant University Ota, Ogun State Nigeria.
- 36th Annual Conference of The Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 2017. University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State Nigeria.
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Nigerian International Chemical Sciences Chapter, 5th Annual Symposium Sokoto 2020. The mechanism of action of anti-diabetic properties of methanol extracts of Moringa oleifera leaves in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats.